There are plenty of verses that talk about generational sins and curses. The Bible talks a lot about the sins of the father being passed down to the next generation and the one’s after.
So how much is simply genetics and heredity and how much is the results of actual sins being passed down?
Well, I know what Galatians 3:13 says:
“Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us-for it is written, Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree.”
My Jesus paid it all. So thankful that I can have a personal relationship with a Savior who did just that. He bore it all, once and for all.
Here is further teaching, examining the whole of scripture over here if you’d like to research it for yourself. No matter what, we know one thing for sure, the original sin and curse of death was passed onto all men/women.
“That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had sinned.” ~Romans 5:12
Whether you believe that generational sins/curses happen still today, or you believe that they are no longer (because we are no longer under the curse of the law), there are still consequences of sin that may be passed on throughout generations.
Strongholds. Habits. Sinful addictions. Being bent towards certain things like alcoholism, sexual sins, etc.
We naturally inherit what our parents, and parent’s parents pass down to us. Good and the bad.
I’ve heard the Lord speaking to me over and over very clearly through His Word this past year,
Traci, I want you to be a generation-changer! By your obedience and faithfulness, I will redeem the generations after you. It can stop with you.
Wow! Really Lord? It hasn’t been just once, but over and over and over again. I’m listening Lord.
So how can you and I be a generation-changer?
1) Walk in the Spirit. (Galatians 5:16)
2) Ask the Lord to purify your life from any bondage/strongholds. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
3) Be willing to make hard choices.
4) Be willing to walk the opposite way of the world. (1 John 2:15-17)
5) Squelch the lies of the enemy that your past sins will affect your children.
6) Instill good and morality into your children based on the Word of God and the Holy Spirit’s moving in your life.
7) Prayer is key! Pray for your children all the time! Prayer is the key to being a generation-changer!