I stand in a church holding hands with my soon to be husband. A room full of eyes stare up at us but all I see are the two looking back at me. His eyes connect us and speak volumes without uttering a spoken word. We are young, a bit naive, but hearts knit with endless, hope-filled dreams.
Just seven years later and I am more in love with that man than I ever thought I’d be. I tell him often how thankful I am for him. Hand-holding sparks still fly, but the depth of our heart-connection keeps love brewing long after sparks do. When a house full of children, and life-messes, and conflict tempts to steal and stifle the passion, we make the effort to stay knit together.
A friend of mine spoke of the strength of 2 phone books intertwined page for page. Mythbusters did a segment on it. Heavy machinery had trouble pulling these 2 books apart. It got me thinking about marriage. How can we stay in love with our husband that will stand the test of time?
1) Pray and read the bible together. Make time to stay spiritually connected.
2) Be affectionate often. Make time to stay physically connected. Be creative. Be spontaneous.
3) Be a good friend. Make time to be that best friend your husband fell in love with. Die to self. Again and again.
4) Lighten the mood. Life is full of stress and keeping your sense of humor is key in any thriving marriage.
5) Fight for him not with him. Marriage takes work and you must fight for it! Don’t let anything stand in the way of staying connected in all ways (spiritual, physical, emotional, etc).
Thanks for visiting!